SANTA ANA, Calif. — Working at the demand of a federal judge in a case that could have broad influence, public officials and homeless advocates have reached an agreement providing motel rooms and other shelter for homeless people who are being kicked out of an encampment in a Southern California riverbed.
U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter has boldly and unconventionally stepped into the process of the eviction, and plans to visit the encampment on Wednesday morning.
On Tuesday he made the rare move of insisting the two sides get together for several hours and come up with a solution.
“We’re going to solve it right here,” Carter said. “I’m tired of the paperwork, ‘We can’t get it done,’ nonsense.”
Carter called on Orange County officials, veterans, women’s advocates and others to step up and offer solutions for those living on the 2-mile (3.2-kilometre) stretch of riverbed trail once popular with joggers and bikers that has been overrun by tents, trash and human waste.
Orange County, home to 3.2 million people between Los Angeles and San Diego, started telling the homeless last month officials were closing the encampment of tents and tarps and offering to store belongings and help find shelter.
Homeless advocates sued and sought protection from the courts when they heard authorities were going to start citing or arresting people who refused to budge.
The case is being watched by homeless advocates along the West Coast and elsewhere grappling with a rise in homelessness caused in part by soaring housing costs, rock-bottom vacancy rates and a roaring economy.
The ruling will only cover people living in the encampment near the stadium that hosts the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, but homeless advocates elsewhere might look to the case to make similar claims, experts said.
“These are issues that are being litigated around the country,” said Maria …read more
Source:: Usa latest news