Top U.S. intelligence officials went to Congress on Tuesday to offer an annual assessment of global threats. But their testimony revealed an issue at home: lingering disagreements between the White House and the intelligence community.
Speaking to the Senate Intelligence Committee, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, FBI Director Christopher Wray, CIA Director Mike Pompeo and other high-ranking officials disputed President Donald Trump’s accounting of multiple national-security related issues.
Here are three key areas where the answers given by the intelligence chiefs diverged from those from the White House.
The timeline of the Rob Porter controversy
What Wray said: The FBI director shed new light on the timeline surrounding the former White House staff secretary’s departure from the White House. Porter resigned last week after two ex-wives went public with allegations that he physically abused them. “The FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March, and then a completed background investigation in late July,” Wray said. “Soon thereafter we received request for follow-up inquiry, and we did the follow up and provided that information in November. We administratively closed the file in January. And then earlier this month we received some additional information and we passed that on as well.”
Porter denies the allegations. But once it became clear that he was operating with an interim security clearance, questions have swirled over when the White House learned of the accusations of abuse, which Porter’s ex-wives say they revealed to the FBI during his background check.
What the White House said: The Administration has offered contradictory answers to questions about when top aides, including chief of staff John Kelly, became aware of the issue. When asked Monday whether at any time in the past year the FBI had …read more
Source:: Time – Politics